Most media haven’t asked President Barack Obama’s administration about potential damage from the security breach resulting from the latest attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi.
Something else that hasn’t been mentioned happened on August 1 when Reuters reported that a “blast” had hit the “Libyan military intel office in Benghazi.”
The Reuters story said the blast was the “third time the building had been attacked this year.” Reuters also said groups had “staged protests” in Benghazi, complaining about political power and “neglect of the region.”
A careful search of numerous link results from different search engines yielded little information, and there’s no information about the proximity of the “Libyan military intel office” to the building compound the Obama administration called the “U.S. Consulate” in Benghazi.
In light of stories published in August and September, mostly by international media, questions about damage from the security breaches are warranted.
The Obama administration also experienced a little-publicized security breach in May, 2009.
The US Report did feature a story about it, but most media either ignored or downplayed it. The breach was huge. Data went missing from the National Archives, again, and the missing data had something in common with data stolen by Sandy Berger ahead of the 9/11 Commission hearings:
The drive contains one terabyte of data derived from records from the Clinton presidency. Data on the drive includes more than 100,000 social security numbers (including Al Gore’s daughter), contact information (including addresses) for various Clinton administration officials, Secret Service and White House operating procedures, event logs, social gathering logs, political records and other highly-sensitive information… One terabyte of data is the approximate equivalent of millions of books, according to the Inspector General.
Berger was a national security adviser to Bill Clinton. Prior to testifying before the 9/11 Commission, Berger took unknown documents related to the Clinton presidency. There’s no way to document what he took.
Adding intrigue to the story about the blast at the Libyan military office was a mention in the Reuters story of “seven Iranian relief workers” who had allegedly been “abducted…by an unknown armed group.”
The civil war in Libya began in Benghazi in 2011. Obama agreed to enter the war with NATO; he did not consult Congress. Costs associated with the war in Libya were not budgeted by the U.S.
Reportage on the Libya War has been mired in disinformation and outright misinformation as the Obama struggles in a tight race for the presidency.
Although the Obama administration claimed FBI agents couldn’t get immediate access to Benghazi, U.S. media were soon able to move freely and talk to locals after the attacks.
The Independent (UK) described data missing after the attack on the consulate as “sensitive documents” containing, among other items, lists of Libyans who worked with Americans and about “oil contracts.”
The administration began to politicize the Benghazi attack shortly after it occurred by blaming a mysterious video for insulting a Muslim prophet.
~~Follow us on Twitter @TheUSReport
Related at The US Report
(Commentary by Kay B. Day/Oct. 24, 2012)