The group responsible for the attack, according to one email, was Ansar al Sharia. The group aims at establishing Islamic law.
The emails prove the administration knew far more about the attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi than officials told the public, and raise questions about Obama’s decision to blame a mysterious video posted on YouTube for sparking Islamist rage.
Fox News obtained emails from the State Dept. showing that officials blamed al Qaeda allied group Ansar al Sharia within “hours of last month’s deadly consulate attack…”
Reuters obtained emails from government sources who asked to remain anonymous. Those emails implicate Ansar al Sharia.
According to The Global Post, Ansar al Sharia means Partisans of Islamic Law.
During hearings before Congress on Oct. 10, LTC Andrew Wood who had been in charge of security before being moved out along with other security, said they were “fighting a losing battle.” Woods described conditions ahead of security staff removal:
Some militias appeared to be degenerating into organizations resembling freelance criminal operations. Targeted attacks against westerners were on the increase. In June the Ambassador received a threat on Facebook with a public announcement that he liked to run around the Embassy compound in Tripoli.
Three days after Benghazi, Taliban attacked heavily fortified Camp Bastion in Afghanistan. Besides the deaths of two U.S. Marines, local troops were also killed. The attack delivered a serious blow to military assets. NATO said the attack was “conducted by three tightly choreographed teams of militants wearing American Army uniforms,” according to The New York Times.
In multiple speeches including one delivered to the United Nations, Obama blamed the film and undermined the U.S. First Amendment to the Constitution by apologizing for a video no one heard of before his administration publicized it widely.
At the Democrats’ national convention in Charlotte in early September, Obama told the audience al Qaeda “is on the path to defeat.”
Most large media in the U.S. have downplayed the attacks on Benghazi and Camp Bastion in an effort to protect a president media largely supported in 2008.
By Sept. 27, cable news network CNN reported FBI agents still had no access to Benghazi although the Obama administration had told Americans the exact opposite.
(Commentary by Kay B. Day/Oct. 24, 2012)
Related at The US Report